Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oleg/public_html/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Quartered • View topic - Connection made - anyone ever been to Terpsichore's?
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » St. Folquet's: Connections

Post subject: Connection made - anyone ever been to Terpsichore's?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:50 pm 

I didn't know if this would be more appropriate as a reply to some of the other posts here or not, but figured this was probably the more appropriate of the two existing forums, with its focus on connections. And...I just had to share again with people who understand, who have seen things like the things I've seen.

Last night, after I read some of the posts here about how to get to other places, that you need other people like us to get to other places...I tried to find someone around where I live. And damn, it was so much easier than I thought.

I don't know why she was in town on Christmas Eve, hanging out with the rez folk that clustered outside the closed coffee shops and new age booths, sharing smoke and secrets, but there she was. She looked like your standard androgynous goth girl, really - straight black hair cut into that extreme pageboy look that leaves the neck bare, skin so light, green eyes lined with intricately applied eyeliner, nails painted black. That she was with the rez folk at all was enough to make me stop my dusty walk to my car and take notice, to admire the tribal-like snake tattoo on her right shoulder and the black riding crop at her side.

She must have felt me staring even though I tried to subtle about it, or maybe the rez folk noticed me. I don't really know, but when she turned suddenly to stare back at me, the fishnet shirt she wore let me see her map so deep and black on her stomach, the edges of it trickling down below her pants. She raised a somewhat ironic eyebrow at me, at my sudden, visceral reaction to the sight of her map; I could feel the rez folk regarding me coolly, waiting to see what I would do.

I was wearing a jacket against the unusual cold (well, cold for these parts anyway), which I hastily unbuttoned, and then jerkily pulled down the edge of my shirt to show the top of my own mark. I didn't say anything, but I hoped she understood, that she would help me, that I would help her.

She nodded to the rez folk, and left their group, walking towards me. I must admit I was somewhat frozen like a deer in headlights - was their protocol for this? What did I say to her? This was definitely no sci fi con hookup; this was far stranger, nothing necessarily connecting us but the marks already on us.

She stopped directly in front of me, tapping her riding crop lightly against her leg, a smile on her face that was undeniably calculating. Her fingers pulled the edge of my shirt down further, scrutinizing the lines and writing traced there. She stood there for some moments, saying nothing.

I finally spoke because I had to, had to insert something a bit more familiar into our interaction. So I asked her name.

"You can call me London," she said, in a voice with just a touch of southern drawl in it.

I smiled a bit. "That's an unusual name."

Her smiled widened. "I didn't say that was my name. I just said that's why you could call me."

I snorted, but let it pass, and let her continue her scrutiny of my lines. Finally, she looked up, having come to some decision. She stepped close to me, touching her chest to mine, running the riding crop along my thigh. "So, is there some place nearby we could go?"

I stammered for a bit before saying that I lived pretty close by. She nodded. I mentioned I could drive us there, and she nodded again.

She wasn't a girl of many words, I suppose. But we went back to my place, and in the familiar surroundings, my shyness wore off, thank god. It turned out, somewhat to my amusement, that her dominant stance dropped away in the grinding and the sweat; I was the one that ended up beating her with the riding crop, at her terse request.

We slept afterwards, and that's when I went to my first new place, a place that wasn't on my own skin but on someone else's. I found myself on the corner of Zarzaparilla and Tripudiens. It was on the water, of sorts, if water were old coats of every possible color. There were docks across the way, and I saw the chimera folk some of the posts here have mentioned. They definitely weren't looking at me with anything approaching friendliness, so I ever-so-bravely ran away down Tripudiens towards a building that had a bright golden light coming from it.

There was a sign above the door, hand-painted with elaborate strokes naming the place "Terpsichore's". No one seemed to be guarding the door, so I slipped in.

It was a dance hall, a ballroom dance hall it turned out, an immense place with a floor of deep red-black not-wood, sconces of obsidian and goldstone on the wall, and a masked master of music (their version of a dj, perhaps?) that controlled the sounds filling the hall. Kiosks and booths were scattered at the edge of the hall, interspersed with places for the dancers to rest in between songs. I pressed myself into a free space against the wall to watch everything, and absorb it into myself, to remember.

The music master seemed to operate a vast machine built of bones and bells and beaded feathers, using small golden balls to manipulate the playlist. It honestly looked rather like one of those intricate machines that you drop a coin into and the machine sorts it by pushing levers and dropping edges until the coin lands exactly where it's supposed to. I was so fascinated by the workings of the machine that I didn't notice the scene that was taking place on the dance floor until a tall figure suddenly blocked my view.

A man, a chimera, was standing a few feet from me and obviously the target of some abuse by some of the other dancers, who were human-looking. Despite his regal stature (and - I couldn't help but notice - perfect dance posture), he was being not only snubbed by the other dancers but in some cases subtly, though forcibly, pushed off the floor. They kept gesturing to his face, and the wings he had instead of arms.

Having been snubbed at social dances myself a number of times, I felt for him. Which is probably why, despite knowing now that chimeras don't tend to view us very favorably, I tapped him gently on the shoulder and asked politely if I could have the next dance.

He turned to look at me, with the top half of his head that of a barn owl, black inky eyes and hooked beak. I stood up as straight as I could, smiling politely and hoping like hell that I wasn't going to regret my offer.

The man's mouth below the beak smiled suddenly as the first strains of a lovely, haunting viennese waltz began to play - music made of wind sighs and bird whistles in three-quarters time. He extended his left wing to me. "I would be delighted."

And so began to dance. It turned out he was really quite an excellent dancer, and thus a thoroughly lovely dance partner. But even as we were dancing, I could hear the whispers growing at the edges of the dance hall, the pointed sharp comments that never mean good things in public places when they persist for so long. My partner heard them, too, and whirled me quickly into a reverse fleckerel at the center of the dance floor. "You should leave after this dance. It won't be safe right now for you."

"Will it be safe to come back some other time?", I asked.

"Probably," he replied. "But you never know."

And in between one step and the next, I was back in my home, curled against London.

She was just waking up too, and asked for a ride back into town. I asked her where she had gone, did she like it, did she want to go back? But she just smiled, and made a short vague comment about how beautiful the translators were with their little golden cats, and turned away from me. Perhaps the place on my skin wasn't as much to her taste as hers was to me.

I dropped her back off in town, where her rez folk companions were still waiting, sitting on the street with their smoke and their bags of small bones. She didn't really say goodbye even, just smiled, tapped her riding crop against the door, and was off.

But I don't care, not really. To have found Terpsichore's is enough, a most excellent present. Has anyone else been there, through London or someone else? Do you know when it's safe to go, and when it's not?

Post subject: Re: Connection made - anyone ever been to Terpsichore's?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 am 

I've never been there, but it sounds like such a beautiful place, I'd love to visit and dance with you there one night. Do you know where I could meet London to find my way in? Is she on Facebook or IM?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 am 

I wish I knew how to reach her, but she didn't say much - didn't even give me a last name. I tried looking her up on facebook and myspace and lj, but nothing with London in the name seemed to be her. I tried messaging a couple of the promising ones on facebook anyway, though. She did mention that she was headed north, but that could be anywhere from northern Arizona to North Carolina to the north pole with her.

But maybe there's some other way to get to Terpsichore's via the other end of Tripudiens - Zarzaparilla goes through it on the one side, but I don't know what the other side leads to. I could ask Rethian maybe the next time I'm there.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 pm 

GlitterGirl wrote:
She looked like your standard androgynous goth girl, really - straight black hair cut into that extreme pageboy look that leaves the neck bare, skin so light, green eyes lined with intricately applied eyeliner, nails painted black. That she was with the rez folk at all was enough to make me stop my dusty walk to my car and take notice, to admire the tribal-like snake tattoo on her right shoulder and the black riding crop at her side.

There can't be two women like this -- London was the girl that gave me my mark, at the show in Vancouver! I've been to the dance hall several times, but since I'm not very good (I'm a fair fighter but a terrible dancer) I didn't venture onto the floor. What do you look like, GlitterGirl? I might have seen you there. I'm about 5'9", male, green eyed and pale skinned with short dark blue hair, moderately athletic build. Usually in black leather pants.

She didn't leave me much in the way of contact information -- she just left. I'm finding it hard not to be angry with her for the way that things turned out, even though she probably had no idea what this would do to me.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 pm 

Dvash wrote:
I've never been there, but it sounds like such a beautiful place, I'd love to visit and dance with you there one night. Do you know where I could meet London to find my way in? Is she on Facebook or IM?

It is a beautiful place, if you like that kind of thing. You might be able to find her by following the band -- she was at the Dixie Apocalypse show in Vancouver. I think they've got another two months in their tour.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 am 

Raven - I can't seem to find their tour schedule. Are they coming to NY soon, do you know?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:36 pm 

Dvash wrote:
Raven - I can't seem to find their tour schedule. Are they coming to NY soon, do you know?

Tomorrow night at the Batcave, it looks like, and then Sunday night in Jersey if that's closer for you.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:47 am 

Quote:
Raven wrote:
There can't be two women like this -- London was the girl that gave me my mark, at the show in Vancouver! I've been to the dance hall several times, but since I'm not very good (I'm a fair fighter but a terrible dancer) I didn't venture onto the floor. What do you look like, GlitterGirl? I might have seen you there. I'm about 5'9", male, green eyed and pale skinned with short dark blue hair, moderately athletic build. Usually in black leather pants.

She didn't leave me much in the way of contact information -- she just left. I'm finding it hard not to be angry with her for the way that things turned out, even though she probably had no idea what this would do to me.

Oh! I think I may have seen you near the fellow who controls the music for Terpsichore's, watching the dancers.

Also, from what it seems, being more a fighter than a dancer may be quite useful over there...

But perhaps we can try to meet up there? I'm also about 5'9", athletic build, with brown eyes, pale skin, red-auburn curly hair, and usually a smattering of glitter on exposed skin. Also, I'm usually wearing a half-mask that covers the top part of my face - it's black-purple, with a great hooked beak. I've gotten something of a job with one of the immigrant-friendly vendors there, helping her make caricature drawings of the dance hall patrons at their request - she makes me wear the mask as a simple protection against chimera hostility. It's interesting - she's a chimera herself, with her swishing crocodile's tail and limbs, but she told me the first night I met her that she's a "sympathizer". It makes it sound like there's a war, or there was a war or something, to hear her talk. She doesn't talk too much, though.

Anyway, our kiosk is directly opposite the fellow controlling the music at the other end of the hall. Look for me the next time you're there? I'm not too often on the dance floor itself with Rethian, but every now and then he deems it safe enough.

Perhaps I'll see you there soon?

Board index » St. Folquet's: Connections